The mildly insane thoughts of a mildly sane graduate student

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Home again!

9 days, 1500 km, 1 bag of cookies, 4 books, several thousand knitting stitches, $120 in gas (ouch) and 3 provincial parks later and I am back from my great Ontario road trip. Photos will be gradually making their way onto my blog. In the meantime, here is what I have learned/discovered on my trip:

1-) Ontario radio stations like naming themselves after large mammals. Over the course of this trip, I have listened to The Bear, The Wolf, The Fox and two station that go by The Moose (at one point near Gravenhurst, I could only get reception for 2 stations: the classic rock Moose from Muskoka and the everything music Moose from Bancroft).

2-) When you park your car in small town Ontario and return to find 3 OPP cars, a firetruck, an ambulance and half the town between you and your car, expect drama.

3-) Travelling solo has it's fun points. I think I've learned some stuff about who I am.

4-) The expression "Good girl!" is used way too much (or I got it way too much - started wondering if I had turned into a golden retriever). "Travelling to Georgian Bay? Good girl!", "You knit? Good girl!" "Taking a vacation? Good girl!" "Ordering the special? Good girl!"

5-) After extensive ponderings following a conversation with Marieke and Andrea about my need for a theme song for my current part of my life: I found one (I think it was on the Fox...). The Long Way Around by the Dixie Chicks (http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/dixie-chicks/the-long-way-around-17149.html). I'd been toying with Unwritten by Natasha Beddingfield for awhile (the lyrics talk to me) but it's used for a ab track in a recent Body Flow release so that now, every time I hear it, I keep thinking about crunches and one's current theme song should not have them thinking about painful abdominal exercises.

6-) Red convertibles are the best form of transit for going to the beach.

2 comments:

Marieke said...

So glad that you had fun! I need a vacation.. and I need to learn to drive.. and I need a car... CRAP! I'm screwed!

Cath_r1n said...

Lol, well you've got a lift to next year's Collingwood Elvis Festival (and control of the radio to listen to whichever large mammal radio station strikes your fancy).