The mildly insane thoughts of a mildly sane graduate student

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fun with fibre









On a packing break this weekend, I spent some time at Amanda's playing with natural dyes.

Here are our results (we've used indigo, cochineal and black-eyed susans on wool and cotton (the cherry red and greyish green tiny bits are my first attempts at hand-spun with the drop spindle.

I also got totally freaked out by Pepper the horse head-butting me in the bum (I'm a city kid: as this was happening, I was getting the mental image of the horse head-butting the cowboy from behind and sort of flipping the cowboy backwards onto its back. I'm not a cowboy, so I shreiked).

My fuzzy pink mitts are coming along. The pattern came out uneven (apparently because of something funny in the transcription of the pattern rather than my errors, meaning that the second mitt should match) - it looks kind of cool in its uneveness. I'm really happy with the shape of the mitts from this pattern. The top is nice and rounded which I think looks good.

No comments: