The mildly insane thoughts of a mildly sane graduate student

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thesis - hold gravy please

So, I pretend to be sometimes writing a knitting blog but really, as venting over research has cut off my knitting time (I may be finished piece 3 of Sand Dollar pullover, I just need to sit down with the measuring tape and other piece that needs to be the mirror image of this one as my quick knitting update - Amanda and I have a night of knitting planned for Friday so there should be more to come).

So I had the meeting with the supervisors regarding my need to revamp the thesis. We now have a new thesis plan sans gravy. It's the same project but instead of doing 4 arms, we're doing 2 and in arm number 2 I will have 4 subjects instead of 6. Meaning... I can start analysing my bloodwork (woohoo!) and writing (woohoo!).

Conversation that occured right at end of meeting:

Overambitious supervisor: Okay, that will be fine for your thesis. However, it would be really cool to look at lipids in (now non-existant). Are you sure you don't want to do extra 12 trials and lipid measurements for fun?

Me: Yes, it will be a cool project FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

Overambitious supervisor looks a little taken aback but as I do not think I've ever said no to more work from him and was looking rather desperate (were those real sparks shooting out of my eyes?), he didn't push.

Really to start the final push. Good thing I have Casey to help me out with some final research and fact checking.



In other news, I have a new haircut (okay, 2 weeks old now). I have been told I now have as much hair as a normal person does.



And now for my sad photo of the day, i found this at the lab yesterday:



That is right, good Christmas candies. And not just any good Christmas candy: overambitious prof's Christmas present from me. I left it for him a month ago. He never retrieved it (how can that survive in our lab where people eat Smarties out of pillboxes). I took it with me to our alternate lab where he spends more time and have been debating which note to leave on his office door:

Option 1:

"Dear over-ambitious prof,

I am concerned about the freshness of your Christmas present. Please retrieve it within the next 24 hours or my fellow lab monkeys and I will have to consume it for quality control reasons. DJ"

Option 2:

"Dear overambitious prof,

Your Christmas gift was getting lonely. It is currently hanging out with me in my cubicle. Please come retrieve it. DJ"

Number 2 is nicer, especially as I was nearly spitting sparks at his the other day but those candies sure do look tasty...

No comments: