The mildly insane thoughts of a mildly sane graduate student

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Doc jock goes to Toronto




So, being an MD considering entry into academia (I am still considering how insane this makes me), I am being pushed to go for an MDPhD. I had my first interview with a PhD supervisor last week at UofT. Toronto is a beautiful city to wander around on an indian summer day (it was almost October and 31 celcius! it was amazing how smug people looked: so pleased to be getting away with another hot day before the cold settles in.

I had 4 hours before my interview to wander, window shop (I was good and made no purchases besides a ballpoint pen) and eat veggie sushi. Very nice little interlude. Went wandering down Queen Street looking for the knit cafe. Couldn't find it but found 2 knitting stores (one was insane: there was so much yarn, you couldn't move), cute little boutiques, fair trade cafes and a cupcake shop that was sadly (or perhaps, fortunately) closed. I've been regularly listening to the Cast-On podcast hosted by Brenda Dane. Brenda has never been to Toronto but describes imagining it being a knitter's utopia made out of cupcakes. I think I got a glipmse of Brenda's Toronto.

No comments: