The mildly insane thoughts of a mildly sane graduate student

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Kids Ask the Darndest Things

Yesterday was my first day of HIV Let's Talk Science presentations (I've got 3 days of it booked in... big high school).

Despite my oversleeping (how did I do that? I triple-checked my alarm the night before to make sure it was set) and waking up to a panicked phone call from the guy I was presenting with because I was 10 minutes late picking him up at school, I think the presentation went really well.

For my first year working with this group, I've been paired up with an LTS veteran who's been great to learn from (especially when presenting in a French high school since French is most definately my second language). He's a chemistry student and ran an HIV demo to go with the LTS powerpoint presentation I'd fixed up and updated. The demo was great: each student gets a test tube half-filled with a clear liquid. All but one tube contains water (which is sero-negative), the last tube contains a base solution (the seropositive tube). Students then get to wander around for 5 minutes, mixing the liquids in their tubes (simulating having unprotected sex). You then run an "HIV test" (add a reagent to each tube and any tube that contains some of the base turns magenta). Almost all the tubes turn out seropositive. It's a good sex ed scare tactic.

We got some very interesting questions during our presentation... When we started talking about condoms and safe sex, one girl wanted to know why they sell flavoured condoms. Yeah, I got to try answer that one in French. My presentation partner let me stumble over that one for a little while before rescueing me with "It's just to hide the fact that regular condoms taste really bad". Great answer!

Here's a link to an MSF ad I'd wanted to add to my presentation but couldn't due to lack of internet access:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFGj468ZD0

No comments: