The mildly insane thoughts of a mildly sane graduate student

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Daily adventures







Well, I'm feeling back to normal (thankfully) and I'm back on my half-marathon (yes, half-marathon) training schedule.

The school workload is picking up (all three classes are getting pretty intense this semester and I've also got that thesis proposal I'd hoped to submit by the end of the month... oye!). Good thing I'm starting to function normally after my flu instead of needing a constant string of naps throughout the day.

I'm doing a presentation on HIV for Let's Talk Science tomorrow. Had the brilliant idea of buying one of those super-duper dosette boxes and filling it with Smarties to represent how many pills an HIV patient undergoing treatment has to undergo in a week.

Problem: super-duper dosette boxes (even ones labelled it braille and supposedly friendly to the blind) come with really complex childproofing mechanisms that like to get stuck and then break off with part still stuck inside the dosette box.

It took me pliers, a surgical kit and tweezers to try release the broken childproof mechanism. Took me an hour to realize that it would be easier to break apart the dosette box, pull out the compartments, fill them with Smarties and shove them back in.

1 comment:

Marieke said...

101 uses for a surgical kit...!
Who knew that would come in handy?!