The mildly insane thoughts of a mildly sane graduate student

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Learning culture shock!

That's right. Culture shock. I realized that I was experiencing a great deal of it this week (and feel all the better to have identified it).

My background learning culture: clinical procedures (including invasive ones and ones involving expensive equipment) are learned as follows: see one (if you're lucky: this is occasionally replaced by telephone instructions by a sleep-deprived senior), do one, teach one.

The other grad students in my lab's learning culture: clinical/experimental procedures (especially ones that are invasive or use expensive equipment): observe several times, repeat several times having others check your every move, get someone to re-explain/re-affirm all of it as frequently as possible.

I see a difference. Do you see a difference?

Now that I have started my trials, I have been receiving e-mails from lab mates remnding me how procedures are done or inviting me to come in to their trials to observe procedures and re-confirm with what I am doing. Coming from my background, I was rather insulted: had I been doing things wrong? did they have a problem with me? was this some passive aggressive attack upon my abilities? I even sent a rather snitty reply to one of these invites before my revelation occurred:

In the normal world, see one, do one, teach one is not necessarily how things are done. Many people have a more thorough approach which could very well be very beneficial to one's learning and one's skill-building. I was not in fact being singled out for any malicious purpose. Hmmm... Maybe I just need to chill...

1 comment:

Marieke said...

hehe.. well, we do the same in nursing.. see one (if you are lucky),do one (ya hope, BEFORE you graduate) and teach one (sometimes in lab, sometimes in clinical.. most of the time as an RN once working).