The mildly insane thoughts of a mildly sane graduate student

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Snow, resiliance, fire alarms and crochet

It is almost spring (as is completely obvious when you look outside). This weekend, we have had another 51cm of snow (which, based on my math, has us within 40cm of the city's all time record). I love the attitude I'm seeing to this weather. There is a big case of cabin fever going on. Apparently, a press release was sent out urging people to stay home unless absolutely necessary. Normally, I'd figure, okay, cool, I've got food and supplies, it's Saturday, sure I can stay home. I was sick of staying home so grabbed my gym stuff, went to work out and to my favorite nearby coffee place, figuring I'd be the only one crazy enough to be out so would get a table with one of the highly coveted outlets for my computer. The place was packed to standing room only. Apparently everyone was sick of being cooped up and, despite there being other perfectly acceptable chain coffee shops within a block, everyone felt that for going out in this weather, they deserved to get their coffee in the prefered location. There's also great anxiety to reach this record-breaking 447cm mark. If we are still suffering through this snow in March, we'd might as well be able to brag about living through the record-breaking winter of 2008.



I tried to show that the snowbank behind me goes up to my shoulders. I was having troubles setting up the camera and it was too cold and snowy to be too persistant.

So, at the tail-end of the snow, my building's fire alarm went off. Surprisingly, fire trucks arrived through the snow by the time I had backed up my thesis work on my portable hard drive (typical grad student - must save data) and packed up Casey. Casey sat by the door as soon as the alarm started, as if she were waiting for instructions. She was less thrilled when I shoved her into her bag and started down all the stairs. The fire alarm stopped by the time I made it to the 16th floor so I got to turn around and let Casey go recover.


Recovering.

Finally, I did some needlework: here's the March square from my crochet blanket and the blanket so far.



And this is Boris. He is a slug (can you tell I was snowed in and sick of working last night?).

2 comments:

Leanne said...

Boris is adorable.

I'm with you on the whole cabin-fever thing. I sure will be glad to see some sign of spring!

Marieke said...

Aww, Boris is so cute! And yes.. snow sucks!